Fallen by Lauren Kate

----------
There’s something achingly familiar about Daniel Grigori.
Mysterious and aloof, he captures Luce Price’s attention from the moment she sees him on her first day at the Sword & Cross boarding school in sultry Savannah, Georgia. He’s the one bright spot in a place where cell phones are forbidden, the other students are all screw-ups, and security cameras watch every move.
Except Daniel wants nothing to do with Luce – he goes out of his way to make that very clear. But she can’t let it go. Drawn to him like a moth to a flame, Luce has to find out what Daniel is so desperate to keep secret... even if it kills her
Dangerously exciting and darkly romantic, Fallen is a page-turning thriller and the ultimate love story.
----------

I have many bones to pick with this book. It is well enough written, but it is also incredibly confusing. Barely anything is explained and the female lead, Luce (aka Lucinda) is about the most annoying protagonist I have ever had the misfortune to read about. If you thought Bella from Twilight was bad, you haven't seen anything yet. Luce is capable of doing absolutely nothing on her own. She is clueless, whiny and plain stupid - though of course she performs brilliantly in school. She immediately falls for bad boy, Daniel (read=Edward), who makes it clear he wants nothing to do with her. So she becomes obsessed and stalks him. Because that makes sense.

None of the characters have any depth and besides a few first first-impression descriptions you learn nothing about them. They are just there to fill up the space around Luce and be mysterious.

You get nearly no details about Luce's life at school. Only the "important" parts are highlighted - those in which she whines about how miserable it all is and how confusing her love for Daniel is and that other guy who also happens to fall for her the second she walks in. Because yes, it's one of those books.

Now Fallen supposedly turns a leaf in the fantasy genre by replacing vampires with angels. This, I think is brilliant. What isn't brilliant is the near total lack of angel-lore. A few references to Milton's Paradise Lost isn't going to cut it! Give me something to work with here - for all the information given, they might as well be fairies. There is so much more to angels than their wings.

Fallen is a very generic YA book, and the first in the series. Next one is Torment. I am in no hurry to read it.




452 pages / published in 2009
Review by Iben Jakobsen, BoB, 2010

Kommentarer

  1. I don't think I'll be reading this one then!

    SvarSlet
  2. yep, i think this might be one to leave until the whole series is finished and then the lack of info might be less frustrating! I'll keep reading because I just need to know what happens.

    SvarSlet
  3. Oh me, oh my! I've FINALLY met someone who agrees with me. A group of my frieds have read this, and they're all in LOVE with it. I just found it very annoying and overall a not-so-liked read. You took the words RIGHT out of my mouth, and you put some humor into it, and I love that in a review.

    Thank you again for posting this review!

    ~Brianna (:

    SvarSlet
  4. @Brianna, am glad I'm not the only one who feels this way!
    Thank you ^^

    SvarSlet

Send en kommentar

Lån løs på eReolen