The Girl Who Kicked The Hornet's Nest by Stieg Larsson

Review of the first book in the Millennium trilogy can be found here
Review of the second book in the Millennium trilogy can be found here
---
Original title (Swedish) :  
Luftslottet som sprängdes.
I read it in Danish (luftkastellet der blev sprængt). The direct translation is The castle in the sky that got blown up.

----------
Lisbeth Salander, a bullet wound to her head, lies in the intensive care unit of a Swedish city hospital. She’s fighting for her life in more ways than one: if and when she recovers, she’ll be taken back to Stockholm to stand trial for three murders. With the help of her friend, journalist Mikael Blomkvist, she will not only have to prove her innocence, but also identify and denounce those in authority who have allowed the vulnerable, like herself, to suffer abuse and violence. And, on her own, she will plot revenge—against the man who tried to kill her, and the corrupt government institutions that very nearly destroyed her life.
Once upon a time, she was a victim. Now Salander is fighting back.
----------


This book is my favourite of the series. Something happens on every single page and it was hard to put down (unfortunately life kept interrupting me, which is the only reason why it took me so long to finish it)

The book's only weakness, if you can call is that, is the fact that it gets very heavy on the name dropping, the (fictional?) explanations on the Swedish Secret Police and the numerous, nay the countless, amount of people who get involved in the case and the reader is suddenly introduced to. It gets a bit hard keeping track of them all.

Lisbeth Salander is utterly brilliant portrayed and Blomkvist and his crew/her supporters and their struggles are all written very well. The book has an unending series of sidelines, who more or less all fit in together at the end of it and I must say I'm sad to not be able to read more about them.




Review by Iben Jakobsen, BoB, 2010

Kommentarer

  1. I read these books this summer and they have now also been passed around to several of my reading friends. We've all liked them a lot. Lisbeth is probably my favorite character that vie encountered in ALL my reading this year.

    I saw the movie for the first novel and thought Noomi Rapace's portrayal was " just right." I share your dismay that they feel the movies have to be remade in English. I think they are fine as they are...

    -Jay

    SvarSlet

Send en kommentar

Lån løs på eReolen