The Lightning Thief - Percy Jackson and the Olympians, book 1 by Rick Riordan

----------
Percy Jackson is about to be kicked out of boarding school...again. And that's the least of his troubles. Lately, mythological monsters and the gods of Mount Olympus seem to be walking straight out of the pages of Percy's Greek mythology textbook and into his life. And worse, he's angered a few of them. Zeus's master lightning bolt has been stolen, and Percy is the prime suspect.
Now Percy and his friends have just ten days to find and return Zeus's stolen property and bring peace to a warring Mount Olympus. But to succeed on his quest, Percy will have to do more than catch the true thief: he must come to terms with the father who abandoned him; solve the riddle of the Oracle, which warns him of betrayal by a friend; and unravel a treachery more powerful than the gods themselves
----------

So much better than the film.

I kept off reading this book for a long time, because after seeing the film I refused to believe that the book could be any good. Oh boy, was I wrong.

Percy, despite the young age of 12, is a very enjoyable lead character who works well with his friends Grover and Annabeth and the constant flood of new and utterly weird situations he finds himself in. He was a fair bit slow on the uptake though, you wouldn't normally just shrug it off completely if you suddenly find yourself facing a monster, would you?

I was overall quite happy with Riordan's changes to the Greek Mythology, both in the ways which made it more easily accessible for a younger audience, but also in how it was altered to fit into our modern day world.

The crime/mystery part plot was well thought through and plays well with the Greek Gods and their relations and abilities.

The book is very well written and a relatively quick and very enjoyable read. It contains both good humour and knowledge about the ancient mythologies that I hope children will learn from.




382 pages / published in 2005
Review by Iben Jakobsen, BoB, 2011

Kommentarer

  1. Nice summary and I’m glad you enjoyed the book. I also loved the whole Greek gods tie in, even though I questioned some of the decisions made by the main character. As you said, he’s only 12 so maybe I should cut him a break! I am definitely planning to continue on in the series.

    SvarSlet
  2. I haven't read the book or watched the movie, though I've heard a lot about the series. Thanks for review.

    Brandi from Blkosiner’s Book Blog

    SvarSlet
  3. I'm glad I'm not the only one who liked the book better than the movie! Although I've found that's often the case with movies based on books.

    SvarSlet
  4. Newest follower here via the Friday hop. I am also a new contemporary romance writer and reader of almost everything.(except SCI FI. Sorry) Hope you stop by and check out my blog. Happy hopping!

    PS - Love Percy Jackson. My daughter and I read through the entire series before the first movie was out. While we did like the movie, we thought the book was better.

    SvarSlet
  5. I loved this book! The movie was just awful! It was like the screenwriter didn't even read the book.

    SvarSlet
  6. I loved the book! I read the next two books two, I need to get back into it and finish the series. I saw the movie, and thought it sucked compared to the book, as the movies usually do.
    Great review, I think maybe I'll try to pick up the 4th and 5th book so I can finish the series.

    SvarSlet
  7. @Amanda - I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one who hated the film ^^
    Reminds me I have to go to the library, they've got the third book in the series on hold for me :D

    SvarSlet
  8. I felt the same way about the movie, it massacred the book. My kids love the movie and we have it on DVD. Had I not read the book I'd probably like the movie, but in my opinion the changes they made from the book made the movie awful. The movie doesn't even have the same villain as the book. I wish the film had been more like the Harry Potter films where no everything from the book wasn't there but the adaptation was very true to form with the book.

    SvarSlet
  9. @Jenn - exactly :/ it was such a disappointment that film compared to the book.

    SvarSlet

Send en kommentar

Lån løs på eReolen