Discussion Time - Getting Recognised

The other day Tween News Today commented on my last article Replacing the Physical with the Digital (apologies for not putting up an article in January - exams got the better of me, I am working on a new one!)

The comment was:
I think this new trend will hurt more authors then help.cause authors are going to have more competition and is going to have to work harder in order to sell books
And this made me think. I understand what the commenter is trying to say, but I think he or she had the reasons mixed up. Yes there will be more competition - but that's not because of the new platform. That's because of the world constantly getting bigger and yet smaller as the internet connects us all into one big dysfunctional family.

It is easier to be published today, because if no publishers will take you in, you can just do it yourself. However, getting read, rich and famous is an entirely different story.

Everybody wants to be an author today. Everybody can. Not everybody should be. The market is flooded in both good and bad literature and sometimes the good is drowned by the bad thanks to PR agents and books tours and bloggers. Today it's almost more important to be good at getting publicity for your book than it is to have written a good book.

We bloggers play a big part in the globalization of the book community and giving publicity to authors who otherwise didn't stand a chance. There is so much to chose between today that it is almost overwhelming to enter a library or book store, so if the author manages to somehow plant their name or the title of their book in the reader's mind it is so much more likely that they'll pick up that book if they come across it.

Thus, the competition is great today - far greater than it was 50 years ago, and yes, authors have to work incredibly hard to sell books. But with or without the new digital platforms like E-readers - it doesn't matter. It's today's culture and global community that makes it difficult to become a recognised author.

Post by Iben Jakobsen, BoB, 2011

Kommentarer

  1. I sort of agree, but I think people do go by publishers too. For example, I am more likely to pick up a book if it is published by Vintage or Bloomsbury, because I know they publish the kinds of books I enjoy.

    And to be honest, I don't read book tour posts/author interviews very often. I guess I'm a traditional girl :p

    SvarSlet
  2. I think it's good that the "world" has opened up and writers don't have to end up on the publishers' slush pile - Authors can publish books themselves and let the public decide whether it is a marketable product. I tend to read books that are recommended and I am very much pursuaded by blog reviews. Great post - thanks.
    Ann

    SvarSlet
  3. Great Post. I have to admit that I have read a few self published authors and hated what I have read. I think this E business is hurting our literary field (just a bit). Some people are publishing just about anything to make a $. Its hard to tell the good form the bad. I agree with "cozy in texas" in saying I read what is recommended from here on out. To me: I feel like there is no longer any competition. Anyone can be an author. Which I do not think is good.

    Ms. Tiptress
    PassionReads.

    SvarSlet

Send en kommentar

Lån løs på eReolen