This Bird Flew Away by Lynda M. Martin

----------
What is real love? The whole world wants to know. They should ask Bria Jean, because she has it all figured out. Opinionated, stubborn and full of woe, Bria would tell you real love is having one person you can always count on through thick and thin. For her, that's Jack. And it doesn't matter to her that's she's nine and he's twenty-tree - not one bit.
When, at the age of twelve, Bria disappears, he and his Aunt Mary searches for her, and when she surfaces, injured, abused and traumatized, Jack fights to become her guardian with no idea of the trials ahead of him. By then, Bria is thirteen going on thirty, full of her own ideas of how her life should run and with some very fixed notions about who is in charge.
----------

An amazing book - I couldn't put it down.

When the author, Lynda M. Martin contacted me and asked me to review her book, she warned me it wasn't quite what I usually read and I wondered what I had gotten myself into. It turned out I'd gotten myself into reading one of the best non-fantasy books I've ever had the pleasure of reading.

It is extremely well written and the 3 main characters and point-of-views Bria, Jack and Mary are fantastically alive and real. Set in the real world it starts out in 1967, with Bria age 9, and follows her life up to 1986, where she's a grown woman and a survivor.

Bria's story of horrors is one of the most real things I have ever read and I felt with her every step of the way. It is no surprise how many victims of child trafficking, rape and abuse have taken this story to heart as it hits the nail right on the head - though without ever becoming unreadable, graphic-wise. It was very gripping to see how her life choices deep down evolves around her past and her desire to do better.

I loved everything about this book, and am very much looking forward to the next Bria Connelly novel, Fly High, Fly Blind.




304 pages (ePub) / published in 2010
Review by Iben Jakobsen, BoB, 2011

Many thanks to Lynda M. Martin for supplying me with a copy to review.

Kommentarer

  1. Hi there. I am your newest follower for FF and I would love it if you stopped by my blog to follow me too and read some of my reviews if you have some time! (^_^)

    http://sandrathenookworm.blogspot.com

    Thanks and I hope you're having a wonderful start to your weekend! :)

    SvarSlet
  2. This sounds amazing. Heart wrenching and difficult but incredible.

    Thank you for the review. It's such a great thing to have reviewers!

    SvarSlet
  3. Given that you found it so amazing despite the difference in genres to what you usually read and review, I'm gonna have to give it a try, after I finish coping with my incredibly long "Currently Reading" list...

    But thanks for the recommendation of something new to try.

    SvarSlet
  4. @Dadrocant - my pleasure :)

    SvarSlet

Send en kommentar

Lån løs på eReolen