Warbreaker by Brandon Sanderson

----------
T'Telir, capital of Hallandren, is a colourful city by the sea where gaily dressed crowds bustle through sunny streets and worship heroes who have been reborn as gods. Ruled by the silent, mysterious God King, the pantheon is nourished by offerings of Breath, the life force that keeps them alive and youthful.
Exiled in Idris, the former royal family reluctantly betrothed a princess to the God King. Arriving in T'Telir, she finds both the city and the marriage are not at all what she expected. Her only ally is Lightsong, a god who is sceptical of his own divinity, who  fears that war with Idris is inevitable.
Meanwhile, another new arrival in T'Telir, one who bears the sentient sword Nightblood, makes cunning plans based on the unique magic of Hallandren, which uses colour to focus the power of Breath - plans that could change the world.
----------

Just when you thought you had it all figured out, things change and you're back to square one.

Warbreaker is so rich in elaborate plot, background, history and characters. The concept of Breaths, the details, the history, it has all been thought through to a fault and it sucked me in completely.

Following Vivenna and Siri's developments as they grow to learn about the world, trying to keep up with Lightsong, a God convinced he is no God, and slowly discovering who Vasher truly is, one Breath at a time. The story is so well written and you can just see it before you.

Warbreaker is an amazing book. Sanderson is without doubt one of the most talented authors I've ever had the pleasure to read, and I look forward to reading more of his creations.




676 pages / published in 2009
Review by Iben Jakobsen, BoB, 2011

---
Note: Warbreaker can be downloaded for free at Brandon Sanderson's website - I'd recommend buying the book though, because of the stunning cover

Kommentarer

  1. I loved, loved, loved this book and I'm so glad to find other people singing its praises as well! Sanderson did such a great job with the worldbuilding and intertwining all the story lines.

    Great blog, you've got here too! It's always a pleasure to find more readers with tastes as eclectic as mine!

    SvarSlet
  2. @Lisa - thank you so much :)
    This book is so amazing, really looking forward to reading more by him ^^

    SvarSlet
  3. I haven't read this one yet, but I have read the Mistborn trilogy and from what you say this one seems to draw at least some of its plot and world elements from that series.

    Have you read Mistborn?

    SvarSlet
  4. @Dadrocant - No I haven't read the Mistborn trilogy yet (much to my dismay) I will try and get my hands on it the minute I have cleared out my current TBR pile and I have some spare money :)

    SvarSlet
  5. The cover is beautiful! Great review, thanks for sharing. Will have to put it on my reading list.

    SvarSlet

Send en kommentar

Lån løs på eReolen