The Sea of Monsters by Rick Riordan

Percy Jackson and the Olympians, book 2.
My review of The Lightning Thief - Percy Jackson and the Olympians, book 1 can be found here

----------
After a summer spent trying to prevent a catastrophic war among the Greek gods, Percy Jackson is finding his seventh-grade school year unnervingly quiet. His biggest problem is dealing with his new friend, Tyson, a six-foot-three, mentally challenged homeless kid who follows Percy everywhere, making it hard for Percy to have any normal friends. But things don't stay quiet for long.

Percy soon discovers there is trouble at Camp Half-Blood: the magical borders that protect Half-Blood Hill have been poisoned by a mysterious enemy, and the only safe haven for demigods is on the verge of being overrun by mythological monsters. To save the camp, Percy needs the help of his best friend, Grover, who has been taken prisoner on an island somewhere in the Sea of Monsters, the dangerous waters Greek heroes have sailed for millennia. Only today, the Sea of Monsters goes by a new name: The Bermuda Triangle.
----------

A quick and enjoyable read. I really like how Riordan alters the ancient Greek mythology and stories to fit into our modern-day world. Though I'm a big fan of the original tales, I see how he makes them more accessible for the younger generations who are too busy with their ipods to pay attention to ancient history.

Like the first, it's well written and the characters are easy to follow and I like them. The cast of the previous book returns with a few new add-ins. Tyson is quite the sweetie! The villains remain the same, basically, which I prefer. It's a more probable (said about a book which features Gods and monsters) that there's one bad guy and his henchmen, who keeps on returning, because he's not that simple to beat, rather than dozens of super villains out to get the main character.

Rage and fury for it ending in such a cliffhanger though, word of advice, have the third one in hand, when you read this one, you'll want to read it!




285 pages / published in 2006
Review by Iben Jakobsen, BoB, 2011

Kommentarer

  1. I want to read this series, so I only skimmed over this review (didn't want to spoil myself!). Glad you are enjoying it though :)

    SvarSlet
  2. @Tiny library - I can definitely recommend it :)

    SvarSlet
  3. I adore this series, it's just so irreverent and silly and yet skilfully told. I'm really enjoying the Kane Chronicles too :-)

    SvarSlet
  4. +JMJ+

    I agree with everything you've said about Riordan!

    I read and enjoyed The Lightning Thief a couple of years ago, thanks to a student's recommendation. I'm not sure why it has taken me so long to continue reading the series. (Thanks for the tip about the cliffhanger ending, by the way. I'd be furious if I finished this book while on a plane or something, without any chance of starting the third book. LOL!)

    SvarSlet
  5. @JMJ - :) My pleasure. I'm still waiting for my library to get me the third one haha - hurry up already!

    SvarSlet
  6. @mummazappa - "silly and yet skilfully told" Such an apt description of these books!

    Haven't had a chance to read any other of his books yet, sticking to one series at a time :)

    SvarSlet

Send en kommentar

Lån løs på eReolen