Dead Ever After by Charlaine Harris

Sookie Stackhouse #13

Life has taken her from a waitress in Merlotte’s Bar, Bon Temps, to part owner; from social outcast to the heart of her community; from a vampire’s girlfriend to the wife of one of the most powerful vampires in the state. She has survived earthquakes, revolutions and attempts on her life. Sookie has endured betrayal, heartbreak and grief . . . and she has emerged a little stronger, and little wiser, every time.
But with life comes new trials . . .
The question is, in the end: who will love, who will live, and who will be dead ever after?

And thus, a series came to an end. I don't doubt many won't appreciate how Harris ended it all  - I see it's received many 1 star reviews on Goodreads and many seem to simply be because fans didn't like the outcome. Whilst I don't agree/appreciate with everything I'm happy to see it to its end. I started out genuinely loving the books, but sooner or later it just turned into a guilty pleasure and I'd read anything Harris writes.

Dead Ever After is the 13th and final book in the Sookie Stackhouse series. I struggle to say anything without giving anything away. If you have read most or all of the books so far, you might as well keep on reading. It offers conclusive (happy) endings to all characters and leaves none I can think off hanging.

3 stars given to it more out of sentimental reasons than anything else.


Dead Ever After by Charlaine Harris
Dead Efer After
Sookie Stackhouse #13
ISBN13: 9780575096615
338 pages / published in 2013
Review by Iben Jakobsen, BoB, 2013


Spoilers beneath - my actual thoughts on the book.

SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS 
~ ~ ~ ~
SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS

I'm happy for it to be over. I wanted vampires and shifters, and this was all about demons? and people from 5 books back or something coming for revenge. I'm glad Sookie might face a more normal life and yippee for Eric making a good deal that'll keep her safe - but seriously? There was barely any vampires present in the book at all! Even Bill is just mentioned as hanging around once in a while, and while I think it's fine that she realizes she no longer loves Eric, it just seemed so... tepid. Earlier in these books it was all about the passion and the sex and the lust and the action. Now it's halfway between a diary and a mystery novel. I enjoyed the book, I really did, but it lacked what made the early ones awesome. Like I said, I'm happy the series is now over - Harris was obviously running low on material.
I will say, final words, I'm happy she ended it how she always meant to. She didn't give in to fans pressuring her, she did it her way. That's admirable.

Kommentarer

Lån løs på eReolen