PT - Library Haul #5

Personal Thursday banner

It's a double tag post!

As you may have noticed, I didn't do a Personal Thursday post last Thursday - the reason for this is that I thought there were way too many of them. So for now I'll try doing it every other Thursday instead.

My latest library haul has been heavily influenced by the presence of an actual car of my own in my life as well as a daily commute of two hours in total. After just two days I realized I needed audio books in my life. Radio, talk-show hosts and endless repetitions of the same 7 "great" songs were driving me up the wall.

Very uncertain about what I'd like to listen to, as I've next to no experience with audio books, particularly for when driving, I picked up a pile of randomness as you can see below.


There is Danish crime writer Sara Blædel's De Glemte Piger (~The Forgotten Girls) - I've never read anything by her and don't really read crime which is actually a huge problem when you're a librarian in Denmark - crime literature, particularly by Scandinavian authors, is HUGE!

Second up is Ken Follett's Fall of Giants, the Danish translated version, which will take over 40 hours to listen to. I've only read Follett's Pillars of the Earth books before and have always meant to read more of his work, but have never gotten around to it. Very curious as to how it will be listening to something that long.

Number 3 in the pile is Jane Austen's Sense and Sensibility. I've attempted to read this, but never got very far, as there were simply too many other things calling for my attention. I'm not sure if I'll actually listen to this one, but saw it on the shelf and thought I'd bring it along.

Second to last is Olivia Joules and the Overactive Imagination by Helen Fielding. A book I didn't actually know about till I had it in my hand. It sounds, to be honest, like a sort of Bridget Jones repeat - but with action ... Am not quite sure if I liked or disliked the description of it, but I thought I might as well give it a go.

Final in my pile is The Fellowship of the Ring by JRR Tolkien. A book I've wanted to reread for years, but have failed to do so. It's just so.. boring. ish. I don't know. I read and reread the books several times both in English and Danish back when film #1 had been in the cinema, but since then I haven't had the energy.

---

So all well and good, right? Not quite.

The day after visiting the library I went to my car, audio book in hand, to set it all up so I'd be ready for Monday's drive - and that's when I discovered the cd player doesn't work >:( despite having had the car for a few weeks I hadn't used that yet and had no idea. After a few moments of frustration and agitation I ended up calling my dad, who called the mechanic from which I bought the car and TL;DR - I'm at the garage right now and they''re installing a new radio/cd player :D

I cannot wait to be able to listen to books the minute I leave the garage again, it will be so nice to not having to listen to music all the time! - and be able to read even more books :D

~ Iben (I forgot uploading the signature picture and am posting this from my phone)



Kommentarer

  1. Åh, Jane Austen. Det kunne godt gå hen og være en skøn oplevelse på lydbog :)

    SvarSlet

Send en kommentar

Lån løs på eReolen