Bridget Jones: Mad About the Boy by Helen Fielding

With her hotly anticipated third instalment, Bridget Jones: Mad About the Boy, Fielding introduces us to a whole new enticing phase of Bridget's life set in contemporary London, including the challenges of maintaining sex appeal as the years roll by and the nightmare of drunken texting, the skinny jean, the disastrous email cc, total lack of twitter followers, and TVs that need 90 buttons and three remotes to simply turn on.

Reading Mad About You, the third installment in the Bridget Jones series was a mixed pot of feelings.

On one hand it's Bridget. Glorious daft Bridget. Funny as ever.

On the other side it's a Bridget who's no longer allowed to be as carefree as before because of circumstances such as widowhood, motherhood, etc. - oh, and netdating.

It took me a little while to get into it as the setting is vastly different from the first two books. Being single and looking for love I could relate to. Finding the man of your dreams and struggling to keep him I could only imagine all too well. Having kids, being over 50 and struggling with all sorts of adult things and feelings? I started struggling to follow it having not been in these situations myself. Some of the scenes with the kids even almost stressed me out!

Also, her take on technology was quite ridiculous. First off, I know it's Bridget and all, but the immature way which she handles her cellphone and important meetings? #sigh. And Twitter doesn't work that way. But technologically induced angst does.

However I eventually got hooked in as always and enjoyed myself loads. I loved the ending and will ignore anyone calling it a fairy tale.

My best advice if you read this - go in not expecting anything. It's not the first book. It's not like the first book. It's 20+ years later and Bridget has (mostly) moved on, aged, evolved, etc. It can only expected that the reader has done the same - or at least, can relate.





Bridget Jones: Mad About the Boy
Bridget Jones #3
by Helen Fielding
ISBN13: 9780224098090
390 pages / published in 2013




Review by Iben Jakobsen, BoB, 2014

Kommentarer

Lån løs på eReolen