The Titan's Curse by Rick Riordan

Percy Jackson and the Olympians, book 3.

My review of The Lightning Thief - Percy Jackson and the Olympians, book 1 can be found here
My review of The Sea of Monsters - Percy Jackson and the Olympians, book 2 can be found here

----------
When the goddess Artemis goes missing, she is believed to have been kidnapped.And now it's up to Percy and his friends to find out what happened. Who is powerful enough to kidnap a goddess? They must find Artemis before the winter solstice, when her influence on the Olympian Council could swing an important vote on the war with the titans. Not only that, but first Percy will have to solve the mystery of a rare monster that Artemis was hunting when she disappeared -- a monster rumored to be so powerful it could destroy Olympus forever.
----------

Yet again an entertaining read.

I'm really enjoying myself with the Percy Jackson books; though often containing a pretty serious plot and mortal danger they are still very light and I'm usually in a good mood every time I put one of these books down.

Yet again we embark on a big adventure to save lives and the world in general. We're taken across the United States and once again I love how the old mythological creatures and tales are incorporated into a modern setting. Having just read Brandon Sanderson's "article" on the Laws of Magic I do think some solutions are a bit too easy to come by, but eh. I still enjoyed it. The story is very straightforward: Things happen, they fight, mythological creatures are hinted at and then revealed in all their glory, some people are hurt, some aren't. You'd think Percy would have read up on the mythologies by now, but still he relies on everybody else to fill him in. Obviously that's helpful for the reader, but Percy really should man up to the job by now. I can't tell you much beyond what it says in the summary for the risk of spoiling you, but I can say that it's pretty cool.

My good friend kiwiria made an excellent point, though, in her review of this book on Goodreads
[...] there are no descriptions of what life is like when there isn't a crisis in the making. The books are wonderfully action-filled, but I actually miss descriptions of everyday life at the camp. Such descriptions build the universe more thoroughly than handling the monster of the week.
All in all, I'm still recommending these books to anyone interested and looking forward to the next in the series.




334 pages / published in 2007
Review by Iben Jakobsen, BoB, 2011

Kommentarer

  1. :-) Thanks for quoting me! That's always a thrill :)

    SvarSlet
  2. @Maria - my pleasure :) I couldn't have said it better myself

    SvarSlet
  3. I found the book kind of simplistic but then it's for a certain age group. It's a good book generally though. Now following you. http://everyauthorsnightmare.blogspot.com

    SvarSlet

Send en kommentar

Lån løs på eReolen