Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater

The Wolves of Mercy Falls #1

----------
Grace and Sam share a kinship so close they could be lovers or siblings. But they also share a problem. When the temperature slips towards freezing, Sam reverts to his wolf identity and must retreat into the woods to protect his pack. He worries that eventually his human side will fade away and he will left howling alone at the lonely moon. A stirring supernatural teen romance.
----------

When a girl loves a wolf boy...

Stiefvater presents an entirely new take on werewolves and does so in a very sweet story of two young lovers. It's difficult to elaborate further details without spoiling you, because of the way the book is built up, taking it slow with revealing things creating a build-up. You'll just have to trust me on this one, if you have the slightest fondness for either YA / paranormal romance / werewolves / good writing or all, you'll just have to read this one.

Grace is a very likeable character, and Sam too, though he is a bit more distant (and I did find him and his lyric writing a bit silly). It is most of all a love story between the two of them and it does get a bit sappy at times, but I overall enjoyed it, and I found both them and the other characters believable. You don't hear much about what the others are up to as it's completely focused on Grace and Sam, but I discovered I didn't mind that one bit.

Looking at Goodreads, Shiver seems to very much be a love it or hate it book, it's been compared to Twilight and as such there seems to be a lot of trolling going around. I can see the similarities, but also think it's a bit ridiculous. Just because a book contains a love relationship between a werewolf/vampire and an ordinary girl, you can hardly claim it's a Twilight-rip off.

Following Shiver, comes Linger (#2) and Forever (#3)was published just this month and appears to a hit.




434 pages / published in 2009
Review by Iben Jakobsen, BoB, 2011

Kommentarer

  1. I really loved this one, but I've been waiting until Linger comes out in paperback to buy and read it. With so many other great books around it's not that hard to wait for it!

    SvarSlet
  2. I've still to start this series!

    I'm a new follower :D

    http://thegreatthegoodandthebad.blogspot.com/

    SvarSlet
  3. Hi there, I'm hopping through from Parajunkee's Follow Friday Feature.. and following you.

    Have a great weekend!

    Holjo @ Pedantic Phooka
    www.pedanticphooka.com

    SvarSlet
  4. I'm waiting on this book to show up I ordered all three, they sent me the final one and I still haven't gotten the first two. What good does the conclusion to a trilogy do me if I don't have the beginning?

    I hate how everyone seems to compare paranormal romance to Twilight. First of all Vampires and Werewolves were popular in romance long before Meyers every thought about picking up a pen. The main difference is they were mostly in Adult Romance rather than Young Adult Romance. All she did was introduce the concept to a new audience of readers, not introduce the concept to books. Sherrilyn Kenyon and Christine Feehan had been putting out best selling Vamp romances for somewhere around a decade before the Twilight Series was ever thought of. The Paranormal Romance genre was already flooded with best selling novels and writers before Meyers ever wrote a word. The main differences are that one the books were written to an adult audience and two most adult romance novels don't get movie deals and if they do it's a low budget slaughter of the book that's not worth watching. I still shutter when I think of the movie versions of Nora Roberts books, those were just plain awful and the worst part of it is the books were one sit reads that you couldn't bring yourself to put down.

    If anything people ought to look at Meyers and how much she ripped off from established adult paranormal romance writers rather than saying everyone ripped the ideas off from her. I liked the Twilight Series but I'd never consider them the most original books ever written. And it bothers me to think that people view her as the standard for Vampire Romance. The standard for Vampire Romance is Sherrilyn Kenyon's Dark Hunter series because I've yet to find a writer who can top her in the genre.

    SvarSlet

Send en kommentar

Lån løs på eReolen