Bones of the Dragons by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman

Bones of the Dragon (Dragonships of Vindras #1)

----------
Skylan Ivorson is a sea-raider of the Vindras and eventually becomes the Chief of Chiefs of all Vindras clans, an honor he truly feels he deserves as one who has been blessed by Skoval, the god of war.
But sometimes a blessing is a curse in disguise.
Skoval and the other ancient gods are under siege from a new generation of gods who are challenging them for the powers of creation… and the only way to stop these brash interlopers lies within the mysterious and hidden Five Bones of the Vektan Dragons.
It will be up to the Vindras people, as the dragon-goddess’s champions, to undertake the quest to recover all Five. The fate of the Old Gods and the Vindras rests on their recovery--for this is not only a quest to save the world. It is also a quest for redemption.
----------

When I came across a bargain deal containing the translated version of Bones of the Dragon I took it without question. I'm an old and big fan of Weis and Hickman's extensive DragonLance series and wanted to see what they were up to with this new series set in a different world entirely. 

One of the first things I realised wee that though different it still has many many similarities to the settings of DragonLance, especially concerning the gods. It's even more heavily influenced by the Northern mythologies however and the setting all in all is quite convincing. 

The main character Skylan is one of the most arrogant self centred jerks in a long time, but his (slow) realisation of right and wrong is still quite entertaining to read. Mostly though I didn't feel that much of a connection to the story oriya characters. It failed to fully grasp me. Being the first of a series we're obviously introduced to a flood of different people whom all have their own agendas but especially the gods  and their place in the whole mess felt boring to me. The only character that really sparked my interest was the boy Ulver. 

The book ends immediately after some big action and drama but I was mostly just happy to be done with it. I'm not feeling inclined to pick up the second book unless someone throws it in my lap.  It's a decent read and as well written as any of the DL books, but they are far more captivating and interesting. 

3 stars

Kommentarer

  1. I actually never got around to reading any of the Dragonlance series even though I know it's really popular. I think fantasy has gotten less interesting for me because there's not really anything new about it.

    SvarSlet

Send en kommentar

Lån løs på eReolen