Library Haul #1

I just visited the library to collect a book I'd ordered, but ended up going home with a few others as well.

Despite the fact that I'm studying to become a librarian, I'm not a big user of libraries. Mostly because I'm not a fan of the library here in Aalborg. I don't like the layout, the look, the architecture or the feel of it. It somehow lacks an inviting feel to it and the way they've set up the book shelves just doesn't appeal to me at all. Mostly it's one big hall with book cases on rows where everything is shelved and categorized by (I think) the DK5 system: a numeric genre categorization system, which means that obscure numbers rather than words tell you what's where (83 for books in English for example). Though efficient for librarians stocking shelves, it's difficult to manoeuvre when you don't have the system memorized (and I certainly don't).

Beyond that big area they've got a children/teen's area (where I as an adult feel like I'm trespassing if I enter, despite the fact that I like YA books - but to be honest their collection is horrendous anyway), a crime area and something called the Zone, which caters to new/popular/highlights.

To try and return to the point of this post, here are my library borrows :)


The Stepford Wives by Ira Levin (I've heard about the film and know vaguely what it's about)
Animal Farm by George Orwell (I've never read this, but apparently everybody else have!)
Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen (the one I came for, want to read it before watching the film)
The Magician's Assistance by Ann Patchett (no clue about this one, just thought it sounded interesting)

Annoyingly enough, I hadn't been home for 5 minutes when I got a text from the library telling me that another book was ready to be picked up (The Scorpio Races by Maggie  Stiefvater). That led to a bit of facepalm, will have to see if I can squeeze another visit to the library into my schedule tomorrow!

Kommentarer

  1. You haven't read Animal Farm?!? I really loved it. It's a bit depressing though. I'm not keen on my library either. Mostly because it's really obvious the librarians couldn't care less about reading. It's just a job to them. That's sad.

    SvarSlet
    Svar
    1. Haha no, I haven't :) Did you read it in school? That's where I hear most have read it - most being anybody but Danish people. I think we've been busy reading Danish literature here instead!
      That's really sad :/ I think librarians have a sort of obligation to ooze book love, why work such a place if not to spread the word?

      Slet
  2. I read Animal Farm when I was thirteen and was bowled over by it. The Stepford Wives has gone into the culture. When you speak of something being like The Stepford Wives everyone knows you're talking about robot-like women who do the housework wether they've read it or not.

    SvarSlet
    Svar
    1. You're so right :) I'm glad I'm finally getting around to reading such classics!

      Slet

Send en kommentar

Lån løs på eReolen