The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater

Blue has spent the majority of her sixteen years being told that if she kisses her true love, he will die. When Blue meets Gansey’s spirit on the corpse road she knows there is only one reason why – either he is her true love or she has killed him.
Determined to find out the truth, Blue becomes involved with the Raven Boys, four boys from the local private school (led by Gansey) who are on a quest to discover Glendower – a lost ancient Welsh King who is buried somewhere along the Virginia ley line. Whoever finds him will be granted a supernatural favour.
Never before has Blue felt such magic around her. But is Gansey her true love? She can’t imagine a time she would feel like that, and she is adamant not to be the reason for his death. Where will fate lead them?

Stiefvater creates and writes about impossible boys. Just 17 years old and all the maturity of a guy who's 10-20 years older along with the wisdom. So sensible, so sensitive and oh so sweet - you can't help but fall in love with them. And then you remember how old they supposedly are and realize the fraud. I at least have never met any person that age with such a personality. But that is I suppose the illusion of YA. Impossible boys and quirky girls who somehow draw in anyone who'd ignore them in the real world. Stiefvater is  a repeat offender of this sort of character, but definitely not the only author who does it.

My negativity aside, I loved reading The Raven Boys. It was engaging, well written and the characters, despite my complaints which I stand by, were very likable and full of life.

The ending however baffled me. I honestly don't understand what exactly happened and I have many unanswered questions*. I in fact have so many questions I can't help but think that Stiefvater got in way over her head, there are too many unfinished story lines, too many characters of importance. Also, the closing words made no sense to me. I didn't know at the time, but a second book is to be published in just a week, The Dream Thieves, and while I now look forward to it and hope that it will answer some questions, I have a feeling a fair few won't be. I reread the offending chapter and still didn't get it. I don't know if I just didn't get the magic or mood or whatever, but bottomline is I closed the book feeling disappointed.

With that weighing down on an otherwise great read, the final score is only 3 stars.


The Raven Boys
The Raven Cycle #1
ISBN13: 9781407134611
454 pages / published in 2012
Review by Iben Jakobsen, BoB, 2013



*My unanswered spoiler filled questions you can see/hear here:

If you've read the book, maybe you can help me understand!?

Kommentarer

  1. Rigtig fin video og rigtig fin anmeldelse. Du er noget så behagelig at lytte til.

    SvarSlet

Send en kommentar

Lån løs på eReolen