The Daylight War by Peter V. Brett

I was so happy when I finally got my hands on the final book in Brett's Demon Cycle, but I realised that I had to reread the prior two books to get the most out of it. As both are some of the best books I've ever read I didn't mind that terribly much. Below are two mini reviews of each of those books before my full review of the final book Daylight War. You can click the title of either book to go to the original full review of those from Nov 2010 and June 2011.

The Painted Man #1
I first finished reading The Painted Man by PV Brett on November 26th, 2010. Back then I gave it 5 stars and loved it. Almost 3 years later I’ve reread it and can confirm that it’s worth all 5 or more. I love this book. I love the characters who are so well written, so full of life and character and feelings and thoughts followed by action. Arlen, Leesha and Roger are to me some of the dearest characters I’ve ever encountered and my love for their stories has been rekindled as I reread the book. I love the world it is magnificently set in and I love every detail about the Core, the demons and the wards. It is so damn well created and carried out! PV Brett created a master piece in the first book of the Demon Cycle and I was anxious to read (and judge) the next.

The Desert Spear #2
The Desert Spear expands the character list and gives us many many pages from the point of view of Jardir. I know many readers were frustrated about this, but personally I loved it. Jardir is an awe-inspiring character and details and depth of his culture and people is just stunning. The main characters, the minors, indeed the entire lands are put to the test as even worse foes rise up even while they're fighting one another. It's incredibly well written and I fell in love all over again with the characters. In short it's yet another brilliant book and I loved it then and love it still.




The Painted Man by Peter V Brett

The Desert Spear by Peter V Brett

The Painted Man
Demon Cycle #1
ISBN13: 9780007276141
544 pages / published in 2008
    The Desert Spear
Demon Cycle #2
ISBN13: 9780345524140
658 pages / published in 2010



Reviews by Iben Jakobsen, BoB, 2013




~~*~~
The review below of The Daylight War WILL CONTAIN MILD SPOILERS for books 1 and 2!
~~*~~

On the night of the new moon, an army of demons rises in force, seeking the deaths of two men, both of whom have the potential to become the Deliverer, the man prophesied to reunite the scattered remnants of humanity. Arlen Bales, the Warded Man, denies he is the Deliverer, but the more he tries to be one with the common folk, the more fervently they believe. Among the desert tribes, Ahmann Jardir has proclaimed himself the Deliverer, forging his followers into a mighty demon-killing force. Jardir's rise was engineered by his First Wife, Inevera, a cunning and powerful priestess whose motives and past are shrouded in mystery. Once Arlen and Jardir were as close as brothers. Now they are the bitterest of rivals. As humanity's enemies rise, the only two men capable of defeating them are divided against each other by the most deadly demons of all - those lurking in the human heart.

The Daylight War blew my mind.

In this thrilling 3rd book in the series, we get the story of Inevera and like the others, there is so much more to her. The characters, their storylines, the way it all flawlessly intertwines is just breathtaking. I don't think I've ever read a series that's been this consistently good, no, great, throughout.

Besides Inevera's past we follow the lives of the people from Cutter's Hollow as in book 2 and the complicated feelings and choices of the 4-5, 6? main characters. I'm honestly unsure how many count as main characters by now. Obviously there's Arlen, Rojer and Leesha. Then there's Jardir, and now also definitely Inevera. Abban gets his own POV too, and so does Renna, so they matter. And there's also the matter of Rojer's wives. Etcetera. Funny thing is though, Brett writes them all so well defined that you're never  (or at least I never were) overwhelmed by the amount of characters. They all play crucial parts and by Gods it's good.

I tweeted my feelings when I finished the book, desperate for more - and the 4th book, The Skull Throne,  isn't due till 2015, but Brett (@PVBrett) was kind enough to tweet me back a link to the first chapter of book 4 - a chapter I honestly think should have been the last chapter of the Daylight War as it makes the cliff hanger so much more kickass. The chapter can be found here -- ABSOLUTELY DO NOT READ IT IF YOU HAVEN'T READ THE DAYLIGHT WAR!! --


The Daylight War by Peter V Brett



The Daylight War
Demon Cycle #3
ISBN13: 9780345524157

688 pages / published in 2013




Review by Iben Jakobsen, BoB, 2013

Kommentarer

Lån løs på eReolen