#WeNeedDiverseBooks


So what is a diverse book?

Well as far as I see it, it's a book that manages to break out of the almost stereotypical plot of a white/straight man or woman being the hero of the hour. A book that allows a woman to be the hero without having to rely on a man. A book that allows its main character to be openly gay or any other sort of sexuality. A book where the main character or more aren't white. Etcetera etcetera.

Diverse books are important because we're not all blond and white. We don't all have blue sparkling eyes. We're not all clumsy yet cute. We're not all straight. We all have our own stories to tell and it's important, particularly at a young age, to be able to identify with what you see and read. People learn from reading. Reading about diversity gives you understanding and compassion for those not like you. Gives you the bravery and pride to be yourself.

Diverse books I've read:
  • All books by Trudi Canavan
  • All books by Tamora Pierce
  • Life of Pi by Yann Martel
  • The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins
  • The Hairdresser of Harare by Tendai Huchu
  • The Girl Who Saved the King of Sweden by Jonas Jonasson 
  • The Help by Kathryn Stockett
  • Battle Royale by Koushun Takami
  • Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden
Obviously there are undoubtedly more, these are just from my "read" shelf on Goodreads over the past few years. But my list is far too short. Shockingly so, actually. I've never before given much specific thought to it, but besides a small amount of books with kick-ass heroines, I have read very few books wherein most characters aren't white or straight. Not out of direct choice, but because that's the majority of books I've been exposed to.

Being white and straight myself, I have plenty of books to identify with, but I regret not having read more books that might educate me and help me understand other people better - and I feel sorry for those who find the shelves lacking.



Kommentarer

Lån løs på eReolen