Angel by LA Weatherly

----------
Angels are all around us: beautiful, awe-inspiring, irresistible.
Ordinary mortals yearn to catch a glimpse of one of these stunning beings and thousands flock to The Church of Angels to feel their healing touch.But what if their potent magnetism isn't what it seems?Willow knows she's different from other girls. And not just because she loves tinkering around with cars.Willow has a gift. She can look into people's futures, know their dreams, their hopes and their regrets, just by touching them. But she has no idea where she gets this power from.
Until she meets Alex…Alex is one of the few who know the truth about angels. He knows Willow's secret and is on a mission to stop her.The dark forces within Willow make her dangerous – and irresistible.In spite of himself, Alex finds he is falling in love with his sworn enemy.
----------

This is the book that inspired my previous post Reading from experience, and though Weatherly tries to hide it a tiny bit, it fully earns the label "yucky love at first sight". I'm not a fan of two people meeting each other and finding each other so breathtakingly beautiful, that you, the reader, just know that they're gonna end up together, raising 5 kids and a puppy. I'm honestly sick of this over the top infatuation and looks-fixation that so many authors push, like some addictive drug.

Regardless I actually really enjoyed Angel, but the ending kicked one star off it's final score. I just thought it was too much of a let down after such a build up.

The overall story is quite compelling, and I loathed to put it down during the read, but now, a few days later, I can't really recall what the actual draw was. It's well written, and I did like the characters. I missed most of the hype about the book, so I don't know how others reacted to it. I'm a big fan of angels, I love the medieval lore about them and the modern interpretations, and I think Angel was a really interesting take on the subject. In it angels are these non-divine pretty evil creatures that basically brainwash and kill people and obviously our heroine and hero are out to save the world. The fact that they're both 16-17 years old is a bit of buzz kill to me, I don't know, I just feel so old lately, reading about all these young people having all these adventures and finding eternal love like there's no tomorrow. Maybe I just need to lay off the YA genre for a while.






506 words / published in 2010
Review by Iben Jakobsen, BoB, 2011

Kommentarer

Lån løs på eReolen