Divergent by Veronica Roth

One choice decides your friends
One choice defines your beliefs
One choice determines your loyalties - forever
One choice can transform you

In Beatrice Prior's dystopian Chicago world, society is divided into five factions, each dedicated to the cultivation of a particular virtue--Candor (the honest), Abnegation (the selfless), Dauntless (the brave), Amity (the peaceful), and Erudite (the intelligent). On an appointed day of every year, all sixteen-year-olds must select the faction to which they will devote the rest of their lives. For Beatrice, the decision is between staying with her family and being who she really is--she can't have both. So she makes a choice that surprises everyone, including herself.

Divergent was a great read. Unable to put it down I sped through it and loved every second. I had heard a lot of positive hype about it and it didn't disappoint!

The dystopian world is very well formed (though... a bit too fantasy), and I really liked both main characters and side kicks. I especially liked the mind set of Beatrice and following her struggles to adapt to her choice. The romance felt very real (and steamy!). I did have a few annoyances along the way and am never a fan of open endings with very little, if any, closure, but the writing style and the general story still earned it 5 stars and I look forward to reading book 2 - Insurgent (despite the somewhat bad reviews that one is getting).


487 pages / published in 2011
Review by Iben Jakobsen, BoB, 2012

Kommentarer

  1. I can't believe I haven't read this one yet! After all those unending hype it gets on the blogosphere.. Great review! I should get a copy soon :0

    Samaine@ Bookworms Avenue

    SvarSlet
    Svar
    1. Thank you I can really recommend this book :)

      Slet
  2. I didn't mind this one at the end but I thought the first part dragged quite a bit. Four saved it for me character wise as I couldn't warm to Beatrice or any of her friends. Im not a huge fan of the premise as I think it simplifies human nature way too much but the writing was definitely engaging.

    SvarSlet

Send en kommentar

Lån løs på eReolen