Readathon Wrap-Up and Reviews

The readathon was fabulous. It was really quite addicting to read that much in such little time, focusing solely on that (or at least trying to focus!) and this definitely hasn't been my last time for joining in on the fun!

I didn't read constantly as I was dragged out shopping between 13-16 and called it a night at 1 AM. I did get 3 books read though, a total of 1036 pages!

My 3 reads (who amazingly all turned out to be 4 star reads) were:

Ultraviolet by RJ Sanderson

Once upon a time there was a girl who was special.
This is not her story.
Unless you count the part where I killed her.
Sixteen-year-old Alison has been sectioned in a mental institute for teens, having murdered the most perfect and popular girl at school. But the case is a mystery: no body has been found, and Alison’s condition is proving difficult to diagnose. Alison herself can’t explain what happened: one minute she was fighting with Tori—the next she disintegrated. Into nothing. But that’s impossible. Right?

(Ultraviolet #1)

My first read for the readathon and it was really quite amazing. Ultraviolet was very well written and so different from anything I've read before. I had somehow gotten into my head that it was a dystopian novel, but it's not in any way. Alison's struggle to prove she's not mad - even to herself - was fascinating to read. The ending did take me a bit by surprise, well not as much the ending, but the revelation of the plot. I would probably have preferred something more.. real. Still, though - a great read. Ultraviolet took me about 5 hours to read - I knew I was being dragged off for the afternoon for what turned out to be a shitty convention and some grocery shopping, so I started the book a little early to make up for the delay.

410 pages / published in 2011
Review by Iben Jakobsen, BoB, 2012


Grave Sight by Charlaine Harris

Accompanied by her stepbrother, Tolliver (who works as her manager), Harper heads to small-town Arkansas for their next job. Her client is a socialite named Sybil Teague, who wants Harper to find a teenage girl who disappeared on the day her son was found shot dead in the woods. The girl, Monteen "Teenie" Hopkins, has a reputation for being "wild as a razorback," and scandalous rumors abound about the two. But once Harper locates Teenie's corpse a short distance from the spot where Sybil's son died and reveals that she was shot in the back while trying to escape, the real trouble starts. As more town residents begin to turn up dead -- and with her brother in jail on bogus charges -- Harper must find the real killer before she becomes his next victim.

(Harper Connelly #1)

I didn't know what to expect with this book, but soon something became very clear - it was just as well written and easily readable as Harris' True Blood books. With plot weighing less on the paranormal and more on the characters, it was very much like a regular crime/thriller book. I genuinely liked the main characters and though some of the plot was easy to guess it was still very entertaining - will definitely be reading more from this series. Grave Sight took me about 6 hours to read (though that includes breaks for dinner, walking the dogs and being distracted by a 007 film).

263 pages / published in 2007
Review by Iben Jakobsen, BoB, 2012


Artemis Fowl and the Time Paradox by Eoin Colfer

Artemis’s mother has contracted a deadly disease—and the only cure lies in the brain fluid of African lemurs. Unfortunately, Artemis himself was responsible for making the lemurs extinct five years ago. Now he must enlist the aid of his fairy friends to travel back in time and save them. Not only that, but he must face his deadliest foe yet... his younger self.

(Artemis Fowl #6)

I can't recall ever being let down by an Artemis Fowl book and this one didn't either. The characters are a joy as usual and the plot as surreal and convoluted as always. It's such an easy series of book to read and as such it was great for the final stretch of the readathon! I had less than 4½ hours to read it and I made it with less than a minute to spare - it was quite dramatic :D

363 pages / published in 2008
Review by Iben Jakobsen, BoB, 2012

Kommentarer

Lån løs på eReolen