The Twelve by Justin Cronin

My review of the the first book in the trilogy, The Passage, can be found here.

The below review contains no spoilers for the first or second book.

At the end of The Passage, the great viral plague had left a small group of survivors clinging to life amidst a world transformed into a nightmare. In the second volume of this epic trilogy, this same group of survivors, led by the mysterious, charismatic Amy, go on the attack, leading an insurrection against the virals: the first offensives of the Second Viral War.
To do this, they must infiltrate a dozen hives, each presided over by one of the original Twelve. Their secret weapon: Alicia, transformed at the end of book one into a half human, half viral—but whose side, in the end, is she really on?

The Twelve was a bit of a let down for me. I really enjoyed the first book (The Passage), and my particular problem with The Twelve is its structure. Where there in the first book is very clear lines between past and present, or rather, present now and present some 100 years later. In this second book, you move from then and now from chapter to chapter and there are rarely any obvious connections between the characters. Some read like an awesome start to a zombie/apocalyptic book (reminding me of The Walking Dead) and then the next chapter would start and you'd never hear about those persons again. Frustrating.

Another thing that bugged me was the very Christian overtones (I felt them less pushy in the first book) and the general theme of relying on some higher power and not bothering to explain to the reader why and what is going on is always annoying to me.

It had been a while since I read The Passage so I needed to look up a few people to remember their situation, but even with that added knowledge I still felt very lost. Adding to this my other frustrations it was a battle to finish the book and I had to set a minimum amount of pages to read per day to get through it.

I don't have much more to say about it. The overall story is very complicated and the amount of plots are numerous and currently there are so many loose threads that needs an ending. I will most likely read the third and final book in the series (The City of Mirrors, publication date sometime late in 2014) to get the whole story, but I'm not really counting on being blown away. While I liked the first book, book 2 was just too long and winding, and I don't have high hopes for the third.


The Twelve  The Passage #2  by Justin Cronin


The Twelve
The Passage #2
by Justin Cronin
ISBN13: 9788711438589
751 pages / published in 2012




Review by Iben Jakobsen, BoB, 2014

Kommentarer

Lån løs på eReolen