Cujo by Stephen King

A big, friendly dog chases a rabbit into a hidden underground cave--and stirs a sleeping evil crueler than death itself. A terrified four-year-old boy sees his bedroom closet door swing open untouched by human hands, and screams at the unholy red eyes gleaming in the darkness. The little Maine town of Castle Rock is about to be invaded by the most hideous menace ever to savage the flesh and devour the mind ...

While I really want to say this book scared the living daylights out of me, it didn't. It was scary at times when tension ran high and I certainly side-eyed my parents' Golden Retriever while reading - just in case. Mostly though just as things were getting tense there was a line skip and the story changed point of view to something completely different. This made it quite hard to feel very engaged and even made the book a bit hard to read as I almost lost interest in it a few times.

Overall it was a pretty good book with well written characters and interesting stories of their own, but all I really cared about after all was the main plot about the dog turned monster.


As you can see above the story starts out talking about the monster of a man Frank Dodd. Why, I never really figured out. You see he has no actual role in this. This book, I can say without spoiling anyone I hope, is all about the dog.

Poor poor dog.


CUJO
by Stephen King
ISBN: 0451161351
304 pages / Published in 1981

Review by Iben Jakobsen, BoB, 2014

Kommentarer

  1. I've always wondered about Cujo because everyone says the movie is so scary but I don't think I can read a book in which a dog is the villain. I love dogs!

    SvarSlet
    Svar
    1. I haven't seen the film (and very much doubt I'll ever have the courage), but the book is not so bad. You get to see the story from the dog's perspective and above all else it's just sad how this gentle giant is turned into a monster by the disease. He is not the villain, not really.

      Slet
  2. Frank Dodd er en karakter fra en anden king-bog, Den Døde Zone. HVorfor han nævner ham? Til dels fordi King elsker intertekstualitet, og du kan nærmest ikke læse en bog uden. Dels for at give et indtryk af Castle Rock som en ret uheldig og hjemsøgt by hvad angår forfærdelige hændelser - og Cujo er blot endnu en i rækken ud af mange!

    SvarSlet

Send en kommentar

Lån løs på eReolen