Holiday Reads

I brought a whole stack of books to Rhodes and can happily report back that every single one of them was a good read. One even blew me away, in ways that seldom happen.


On top of the pile is the second instalment in George RR Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire series, A Clash of Kings. I started reading it on the plane and read it sporadically over the week, but am (obviously) not done yet.

Beneath that purple brick is Jojo Moyes' The last letter from your lover which was very very lovely. I didn't quite cry, but it definitely moved me and is a very good romantic novel. Full review to come.

Then we have the wild card - Sylvia Plath's The bell jar. I had very little knowledge prior as to what it was really about I just knew it's a book you're supposed to read. And damn. It blew my mind, a full review is to come, obviously, but it was just amazing. It's incredibly well written and actually paused my reading often to think about the phrasing, the words, the immaculate descriptions of feelings and dilemmas of young women, or any women.

Then we have the Danish book Børnene by Ida Jessen. The title translates to the Children and the book is a classic realism novel which focuses on the drama of human life and interaction, following the narrative stories of several characters, but focusing on their stories one by one. It's the third in a series, but can be read without reading the first two (I haven't). I'd been told it is an amazing book, and while I think it's good, it's not that good. Review to come.

Last but not least I read the second book in the series by Lene Kaaberbøl, Det Levende Kød (The Living Flesh) which is another crime novel about the young coroner assistant Madeleine Karno getting involved in some sticky business. The plot was just as simple as the first book and you can still feel very clearly that Kaaberbøl started her career as a (very successful) children's book author. Full review to come.

All in all, I think these were all very well suited as holiday books. The bell jar is so desperately good it manages to demand the attention it must have and the rest are good easily read books.

Kommentarer

Lån løs på eReolen