Hyperbole and a Half by Allie Brosh

I'm back from holiday! I've spent a week on the very lovely Greek island, Rhodes and it was a great week.Now back to the regular book schedule:

This is a book I wrote. Because I wrote it, I had to figure out what to put on the back cover to explain what it is. I tried to write a long, third-person summary that would imply how great the book is and also sound vaguely authoritative--like maybe someone who isn’t me wrote it--but I soon discovered that I’m not sneaky enough to pull it off convincingly. So I decided to just make a list of things that are in the book:

          - Pictures
          - Words
          - Stories about things that happened to me
          - Stories about things that happened to other people because of me
          - Eight billion dollars*
          - Stories about dogs
          - The secret to eternal happiness*

*These are lies. Perhaps I have underestimated my sneakiness!

You may already know Hyperbole and a Half - an extremely successful blog with a style that cannot really be compared to anyone else's (if you don't know it, I urge you to go there and check it out. It's hilarious - also, it'll give you a better idea of what this book contains. Words can't really describe this sort of stuff.).

I've been a fan of Allie Brosh's style for years and have followed her blog forever. The updates are few and far between these days, but the old posts are still gold - and this book is just as brilliant. Containing half new material and half posts from the blog, it's a great book (and incredibly heavy! who knew coloured paper and drawings weigh so much?).

I was a bit reluctant to start reading, worrying it'd be a watered-down version of posts already online, but just 3 pages into the first (and new story) I was laughing out loud. Brosh's wonderful poorly drawn simple cartoons are the best illustrations you could ever want and her stories vary between dark/touching and incredibly funny.

Despite the almost 400 pages it's very quickly read and leaves you with a fond smile on your face - or completely confused as to what you've just read.

HYPERBOLE AND A HALF
»Unfortunate Situations, Flawed Coping Mechanisms, Mayhem, and Other Things That Happened«
by Allie Brosh
ISBN13: 9781451666175
371 pages / Published in 2013

Review by Iben Jakobsen, BoB, 2014

Kommentarer

  1. Så fine billeder!

    Og åh, den bog har jeg længe luret på! Den virker SÅ sjov og fin!

    SvarSlet
    Svar
    1. Mange tak :) - og tak for inspirationen til at begynde at tage bedre større billeder!

      Den kan varmt anbefales, den er så fin :)

      Slet

Send en kommentar

Lån løs på eReolen