Real Murders by Charlaine Harris

Aurora Teagarden Mysteries #1 

Lawrenceton, Georgia, may be a growing suburb of Atlanta, but it's still a small town at heart. Librarian Aurora "Roe" Teagarden grew up there and knows more than enough about her fellow townsfolk, including which ones share her interest in the darker side of human nature.
With those fellow crime buffs, Roe belongs to a club called Real Murders, which meets once a month to analyze famous cases. It's harmless pastime - until the night she finds a member dead, killed in a manner that eerily resembles the crime the club was about to discuss. And as other brutal "copycat" killings follow, Row will have to uncover the person behind the terrifying game, one that casts all the members of Real Murders, herself included, as prime suspects - or potential victims...

Real Murders is a sort of decent book. It's well written in the way where you can read it in no time and it passes time in a fairly entertaining manner. Charlaine Harris' books have turned out to be guilty pleasures of mine - they are in no way amazing nor do I put them down with the feeling of having expanded my horizon or what not, but something about them just draws me in and I'll most likely read everything she ever writes, just because.

Main character Aurora is boring, plain and I resent her being a librarian - it's just too easy a stereotype to cast her in, even more so when she despite being plain as a mouse wearing a drab wardrobe still suddenly gets not one but two acceptable suitors - you know, in addition to all the unacceptable ones.

The crime/murders aren't very suspenseful and the people don't seem all that affected by it (but then again I've never discovered the victim of a gruesome murder, so what do I know). I didn't care much for the ending, it wasn't really wrapped up, but given the style of the book I don't care. Just like I'm not very invested in some tv show I'll watch on a lazy afternoon I'm not particular invested in this sort of book either. But I still somehow, obscurely, enjoy reading it. It takes my mind off things and thus serves it purpose.

This is probably one of the weirder reviews I've written, but don't you too have books that you read but don't really a strong opinion about be it negative or positive?


Real Murders
ISBN13: 9780425218716
290 pages / published in 2007
Review by Iben Jakobsen, BoB, 2013

Kommentarer

Lån løs på eReolen